Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Will Everyone Please Exeunt The Building?

I saw some restaurant giving out free breakfasts on my bike ride in this morning. Alas, I had already made myself scrambled eggs and wanted to be on time to the library. Otherwise I'd've been all about the free food.

Once again I beat most of the staff in (oops) and took up my now-usual seat in the glassed in display case that is the reading room part of the Rare Books & Manuscripts Library. I feel like a fish in a bowl. Or maybe an ant in an ant colony, because I am a most productive little worker bug: I read through at least a dozen almanacs today.

Entertaining randomness:

1) The light sheet I mentioned yesterday is actually called a "transluminator." Yikes, that's a mouthful.

2) One of the other readers had to climb up onto the table to take a picture with her camera and tripod. I'm so glad other people do that besides me! There are days when I seriously wish I had a booster seat....

3) Said reader used up the battery on her camera, so Alvan came in and took pictures on his camera which he's going to email her. How awesome is that? Have I mentioned I love this place??

4) Last, but not least, I finally noticed the exit sign today. You know, that glowing thing above the doors out that usually reads "Exit"? Well, at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)'s Rare Books & Manuscript Library, that sign actually reads:

"Exeunt."

I laughed out loud. I mean, a Latin exit sign? That's on par with Phil Brontosaurus and the Papers of Manson Nevermore!

1 comment:

  1. Transluminator sounds like something from Harry Potter...it reminds me of the technical name for the 'put-outer' that Dumbledore invented...

    ReplyDelete