So I carried around my umbrella and rain coat all during my trip to D.C. because they were forecasting rain. Nothing. Zip, zilch, and maybe even zanada (I was inside part of the time, so maybe it rained when I wasn't looking). I was starting to wonder if I'd brought it all for nothing, when I hopped the train back to Philadelphia.
I get to the door of the train station, open it, and am immediately grateful for the overhang because it is POURING rain. I head back inside and ask the security guards if I really HAVE to go outside to get to the trolleys. After all, there are "SEPTA" signs all over the inside of the station and I knew the trains stop there. The guards (and their gorgeous German Shepherd) assure me it's really the only way.
So out I venture into the rain! I've made it about two steps before I have to hold onto the edge of my umbrella to keep it from flipping inside out. I make it maybe two steps more before I start having to slog through puddles. Puddles that go up to my ankles. And remember folks, I'm in two inch heels!
Finally I make it to the station, which is only across the street, but I have to wait at a stoplight. I'm soaked from the bottom of my jacket down, despite the umbrella (which, to be fair to it, was keeping my laptop dry - we were in agreement on the priorities there).
Having lived in good ol' Colonial Williamsburg for many a year, I knew just exactly what to do. Off go the heels and on go the shower shoes (flip-flops). In true William & Mary fashion, I then take the trolley to my stop and proceed to wade through all the puddles without concern. As soon as I'm home, off go the shoes and on go the warm slippers. There really is nothing that says "Hurricane Season" better than a classroom full of college kids in their fuzzy slippers...
Research accomplished yesterday and today:
1) Read an almanack which was annotated by a husband-and-wife team, with extensive discussion of how the wife and daughter(-in-law?) managed the family finances. Sweet!
No comments:
Post a Comment